A group from the Malvern East Community were fascinated to take a tour around Duldig Studio recently. The local art studio, museum and sculpture park was especially of interest to the group as it is located right around the corner.
Duldig Studio is the former home and workplace of artists Karl and Slawa Duldig who were evacuated to Australia in 1940.
Kawl Duldig, apart from being a brilliant sportsman, was an accomplished sculptor.
Slawa Duldig was a teacher and artist, and has also been credited as inventing the compact, collapsible umbrella.
They were both Polish migrants who first brought their art over to Melbourne in 1940 after being declared ‘enemy aliens’ in the outbreak of World War II.
After Karl and Slawa died, their daughter Eva restored the family home, keeping all the contents intact, and established the not-for-profit public museum and art gallery Duldig Studio.
After walking around the beautiful sculpture garden, the group was invited in for morning tea and were given a talk on art history and the legacy of the Duldigs.
After seeing all of the beautiful works on display, clients were inspired to get their hands dirty and create. Massaging the clay in their hands, they molded beautiful pieces into whatever shape they desired from canoes to pinch pots and coasters.
The group thoroughly enjoyed discovering a local institution and finding out about a prominent family in the Australian art scene.
Julie commented, ‘The place had a beautiful energy, it was just wonderful.’