1300 297 189 Request a tour

Aged care eligibility and assessment

In order to be eligible to receive government funded aged care services, all prospective residents will need to do a My Aged Care assessment.

This assessment lets us know what type of care you or your loved one may require, allowing Arcare to claim government funding to reduce fees.

Eligibility requirements for aged care

Eligibility requirements for aged care

Many people wonder whether they’re eligible for government funded aged care. According to My Aged Care, you may be eligible if you are 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people) and you have:

  • noticed a change in what you can do or remember
  • been diagnosed with a medical condition or reduced mobility
  • experienced a change in family care arrangements, or
  • experienced a recent fall or hospital admission.

You can find out more about eligibility on My Aged Care’s Assessment Eligibility Checker.

Aged care assessments

Aged care assessments

If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply for a My Aged Care Assessment. You can apply for an assessment on their website or by calling 1800 200 422.

A trained assessor will call you to make a time to visit your home and carry out an assessment. If you are looking at moving into a residential aged care home, you will need assessment from the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). They can assess you for aged care homes and also Home Care Packages or short-term care options if you want to stay in your home for longer.

Frequently asked questions about the My Aged Care Assessment

How can I prepare for an aged care assessment?

Your assessment will take place in your home; you won’t need to go anywhere. But have a think about whether you want a support person with you such as a friend or family member.

Some other things to think about are:

  • Can I still live independently with some help to achieve my goals?
  • What supports are available locally to me?
  • What supports are available to my carer?
  • Is there respite care available locally?

Your assessor will work with you to develop a support plan that will outline the care that will support you.

What happens once I’m assessed as eligible for home care services?

If your assessor determines you can still live reasonably independently in your own home, you may be recommended for home care services. This means you can continue to live in your own home but will either receive Commonwealth Home Support Programme services or a Home Care Package. You can read more about home care support on My Aged Care and visit Arcare’s Home Care branch.

How do I get into aged care?

If your assessor finds that you’re unable to continue living independently at home, you may be approved for government funded aged care services. The next step is to find an Arcare aged care residence in Queensland, NSW or Victoria that will best suit you or your loved one.

You can search our residences or call 1300 293 896 where we can chat to you about your care needs and financial situation. You can also read more about our fees and charges.

Would you like to know more about Arcare?

Contact our friendly team to book a time to tour one of our residences in person. We welcome family and friends to join us too.

Get in touch